Friday, February 13, 2009

Air Canada Did not allow Eva to use her specially designed seat on the Airplane



Today us mothers sat around together listening to CBC Whitehorse. 8 year old Eva travels to ability camp by airplane. Eva has a custom made orthopedic seat she needs to be able to sit up. The seat was made by Columbia Orthopedics only 2 years ago. It is the only one on the market approved for American Air travel. It cost her parents 1200.00 dollars which they paid for themselves. Eva and her mother Lyn told the stewardess of Air Canada this information. While traveling from Whiltehorse to Vancouver Lyn had to hold her daughter Eva up in her seat the entire flight. When she arrived at Vancouver for a flight to Toronto the next Air Canada stewardess used common sense and allowed Eva to use her car seat. I am almost positive the Policy on the use of Car seats on planes in Canada is referring to infant car seats. Lyn bravely spoke about her situation on CBC radio and we sat around listening to the story. I really hope Lyn is able to make head way and will be allowed to use Eva's seat to assist her to sit properly on her return flight home. If you dont have a child in this situation you do not realize what these mothers deal with on a daily basis. Lyn is one of my favourite mothers I have met here at camp. I admire her determination. She goes to great lengths to ensure Eva gets what she needs. Cassie really enjoys Eva. Eva has beautiful red hair and terrific communication skills and Cassie and her both love Hannah Montana. The friendship is terrific for Cassie as she is learning to interact with a child in a wheelchair and accept all children for their differences. Keep up the good fight Lyn and Eva

1 comment:

  1. I am very glad that Cassie has made a friend who happens to be in a wheelchair.

    I remember one course I took where we had to pretend to be old people and go to the cash register. It sure taught me a lot of what people go through and I was reasonably young at that time.

    Now that I am in the position of "older person", I sure wish that more young people would take courses so that they could learn how it is! The same could be said for any age group, we all need to learn how it is for the other person and adapt ourselves to their situation when possible.

    I hope Eve's Mom succeeds in her endeavour to allow the special seat to be used on her ride home.

    ReplyDelete